Task
2d seemed huge to me and once I started writing I did not stop. As
a result I have made the decision to post the answers to
the questions posed in the task in instalments in the hope they will
be more manageable to all. In each post I will specify the
question(s) tackled.
Questions
I will attempt to answer in this blog:
- What do you love about what you do?
- Who do you admire who also seems to love this or is an example of what you love?
I
am fortunate enough to be able to say I absolutely love every aspect
of my job. I have always loved my job, although admittedly to
varying degrees over the years. Moving abroad was the best thing I
have done and I wish I'd done it years ago, although the challenges of living in a Communist Country are vast I am at a great school
and love every day. I feel challenged here, and that I am able to
move forwards with my career. I love the difference that I can make
to a student's day, and the difference that they can make to mine. I
love that I never stop learning, and that no two classes will ever be
the same despite the words on the lesson plan.
I
love that as part of my job I get to watch great choreography and see
dancers with beautiful line, extension and unfaultable technique
perform.
I
love the opportunities dance has given me. It has allowed me to make
life long friends; to be a part of something; to travel the world; to
never feel like I'm going to work even though I could have a full day
of teaching, followed by a business meeting, followed by a trip to
the theatre, followed by planning. It's allowed me to own my own
business; to buy a house; and to achieve and excel in a way I would
never have been able to academically.
In
a classroom situation refection in action is most usual however below
are some examples of reflection on action:
I
pride myself on never letting something cross over into the next
class. For example not allowing one classes behaviour
to affect my behaviour with the following class.
I also pride myself
on my fairness. If, on reflection, I think I have been too harsh the
previous week, I will apologise to the class and not just ignore it.
I expect the same high standards of myself as I expect from the
children. If I have delivered a bad class/got results I am not happy
with I do not just right it off and let it go, I look at why it went
wrong and what I could do to improve upon subsequent lessons just as
I would expect the children to in their practice.
In
addition, I am never happy sitting still, always looking for ways to
better and/or challenge myself. I am continuously thinking about CPD
and what/where I would like to go next with my work. What will be
beneficial all round. I have also always been supportive of my
colleagues and contemporaries helping them in anyway I can.
I
don't think you could be involved with something like dance without a
genuine love. You certainly couldn't maintain a career. It is not a
career of financial reward. All of my colleagues and contemporaries
within the industry are admirable for many reasons. Some are just
setting out on their own adventures and starting their own
businesses, some are striving for better and not settling for what
they've already had, some are furthering their qualifications and
some continue to build upon the success they have had for years –
none of them are happy sitting still in their profession.
Some
people I admire hugely are:
The
Principal of my vocational college. The woman amazes me. She finds
time for everyone, is incredibly nurturing, and will help in whatever
way she can. I have also never heard her raise her voice in 12 years.
I could never have achieved what I have without her love, support
and expertise. She is an example of how dance takes over your life,
with little to no financial reward. She has sacrificed everything
for her school. We have very different teaching styles, but I aspire
to be as good as her.
A
male friend who is the most gorgeous dancer I know. He worked on
Cruise Ships for 8 years and is now trying to break into the West
End. It is heartbreaking watching him get to the final of every
audition just to lose out to someone else. He could easily take
another job, but he has decided this is what he wants. His dedication
and perseverance is admirable. I am incredibly proud of the him and
the way he has chosen to follow his dream and he has helped me to
realise mine.
A
female friend who moved her life to another part of the UK, has found
work as a dance teacher within an established school and set up her
own school. She entered the complete unknown and gave up a good
teaching job in a well established school for this. I think she was
incredibly brave.
A
teacher and friend of mine who truly believes in herself. She always
seems so confident in everything. She undertakes a lot of CPD but
doesn't feel the need to rise through the ranks in the qualification
system within an awarding body any further than she already is. She
knows what she stands for.
The Principal of my current school knows what she wants, what her school stands for and where she's taking it. To her, it is not a business. She will not be swayed by the parents or buckle under customer pressure. She is strong in her beliefs and clear on her visions and if we are not the school for a certain child then "that's okay". In addition she has set up this programme in a foreign county, having to abide by rules and regulations that are alien to her, dealing in a language she cannot speak. I think she is incredibly courageous.
All
of these people have attributes that I admire, and have found
strength to follow their dreams. Seeing their strength and struggles
has allowed me to evaluate where I am in my development and where I want to be. They have given me strength and belief.
No comments:
Post a Comment