A friend once told me "Use a Postit note for your 'to do' and only have three things on it each day" She actually had it published in a magazine that interviewed her for something I don't remember, and, I'd imagine the advice came from her Father.
My mother always suggests having a back up list, so if by some amazing chance you finish everything on your list for that day, you have somewhere else to go - you can be even more productive!
One of my old mentors swears by always starting the list with 'make a list' meaning you feel immediately efficient.
And they're all correct! I try my best to only have three major things on my to do list each day. Less time consuming 'don't forgets' go up, but they're things like 'remember to edit so-and-so's music' or 'Check blogs' (although the latter can be pretty time consuming if you don't keep up with it!)
At the start of the week I usually make lists everyday using 'Reminders' on my laptop (which also shows on my phone). If I finish Monday's list before Monday's out, I move onto Tuesday and I leave Friday to finish up anything that has taken longer than I thought, I work all day Saturday and spend Sunday making up for ignoring everyone during the week.
This works pretty well for me. There's always something burning, and the mundane things allow you to feel like you've achieved something and give you the push to carry on.
The thing is, right now I'm struggling to prioritise. I've read the 'Planning strategies during your Professional Inquiry', I've even tried a few out. But I like a Postit note, and my reminders, and fooling myself into thinking I'm being productive.
I know what I've got to do, the plan is in place, just all the strands seem to entwine and finding the starting point each seems to take forever. I know my strengths and weaknesses, I know the opportunities this degrees will allow me and I know the threats I face by not achieving it.
Anyway, I'm not really procrastinating (although if you need a break, you could read the link) by writing this post. I'm hoping that either I can inspire someone else who feels overwhelmed with the 'words of wisdom' others have given me. Or they can inspire me. Either way, I hope we all make it through...
Take care, Guys
Megan
No comments:
Post a Comment