Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Task 3a


I have chosen to complete task 3a in a series of mind maps and notes answering the questions posed in the handbook.  I chose mind maps as I thought it would be interesting to use a medium I could return to  (should I wish) at a later date and improve (using a different colour) and see where my thoughts have taken me.


What are the current and different ways (tools) that you have, or do, engage with your professional network?


Establishing my currently professional networks:



and showing how I interact with these networks:




What are the established (and different) ways that others use their networks, especially if they are more established or experienced practitioners that you admire?


  • Podcasts
  • Blogs
  • Seminars/Conferences
  • Email distribution
  • Flickr/Instagram
  • Facebook/Twitter
  • Youtube
  • Mentoring
  • To travel
  • Competitions


Are there methods, approaches and technologies that you use socially that might apply and help you develop your professional networking?


Technologies I employ socially:



How could these aid development of my professional network:

As a business owner in the UK, the dance school had both a Facebook and a twitter account. These were linked meaning anything that was updated to one would be automatically updated to the other.   Due to my enrolment on the BAPP I subsequently have a professional blog now.

Many of the methods above I already engage in professionally. With regard to the ethical implications of using Facebook account settings set to enable to me add people when I meet them without them being able to see everything about my personal life.

Living in China throws up its own set of problems. As previously blogged about many established 2.0 technologies are either banned or limited here. I could therefore be beneficial to look into whether china has its own versions, and if it does whether they are widely used.

When you reflect upon current networks can you think about the motives of others to be in the network and what values and purpose they have in mind?


The reader talks about "cooperating fully with others until you reach a point of maximum benefit and the to 'defect'".  To me, this implies that we are not creating bonds and relationships but instead 'using' each other, extracting what we can until we feel there is no more to take. I am struggling a little with this theory. We are all drawn to people with similar interests and I suppose as an adult the majority of friends are made through work. However many of my friends or colleagues are not able to directly effect my work.

Below is a mind map looking at my current thoughts on the motives behind joining networks:




During a conversation with my boss, independently of this task she made the statement "I only have people in my life that I like"  I thought briefly about my relationships and affiliations and wondered if I could say the same?  She then corrected herself and came up with the statement "I only have people in my life who are useful to me" and I wondered how do you define useful?  If indeed someone making you smile is them being useful to you, then I agree all my friends are incredibly useful to me.  But do I set out to make relationships purely with people who have something to offer me?  No.  Something to offer the world? Yes.


What would your idea network look like and why?  What realistic things could you do to work towards developing your idea network? What tools and methods do you need to use?

Below is a mind map of my ideal network, taking into account but not looking at my current professional network.  These are things I would like in addition to those I already have:



What do I know about my current/intended networks                

  • I have colleagues and friends that live it: United Arab Emirates, China, Europe, America, Canada, England
  • I know the level to which my current friends and acquaintances are trained and qualified
  • I have a plethora of wed 2.0 technologies at my disposal to help me find and maintain links and connections with current affiliations and to discover new ones.
  • My awarding body is a great source of information on all things dance. 
What I do not know

There are many things I do not know, and I don't even know where to start with such an open ended question.  I have looked at my above list and make comment on what I could realistically do to enable my knowledge base:
  • The difficulties others face in working abroad/how they train/what schools are like
  • How my affiliations got to where they are
  • What additional links are out there on the web that would benefit me/what is happening on the dance scene in Beijing

What are the ethical considerations of networking within the workplace?



2 comments:

  1. There are very interesting points you have brought up here, and your blog has given me inspiration and helped me clarify how to progress into task 3.

    I have just come back from our tour to China and the point about how it is a hindrance for them to have some websites banned caught my attention. From my short experience there, I can't say that I know if there are alternative websites. But looking at sites like Facebook and Youtube being so popular, I presume they would overpower any new upcoming 'wannabe' apps.
    From what I picked up from our performances, the majority of the audiences' expressions were very neutral, probably because they are not used to being allowed to show expression for something so new, and with their culture being more reserved compared to the Western culture.

    However their reaction a lot of the time was in awe of an art form brought from a different country, where the general feedback was how much they enjoyed our dancing and music, and that is was inspirational. In a way we made a huge achievement I find to bring something so new to them.
    Your point got me thinking that maybe with more exposure to the outside world through sites like youtube, maybe it would be easier for them to understand and have a more efficient access to professional networking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Megan

    I think there's an issue with our business that it's all too friendly. One big family. We all know that not to be true. It's a cut throat business with people fighting for jobs left, right and centre. You might be happy for your friend getting a job but if it was between you and them you couldn't tell me you wouldn't feel a pang of jealousy if they were offered it?! It's natural. After all, our job and most of life is a competition. What I'm getting at is we all use each other it just depends on the varying degrees of using if you get my point? Networking is great to get information on an upcoming audition. What to wear or a particular song style they are looking for. It all seems nicey nicey but you can guarantee there are people only interested in the information so they can get ahead. I've seen it. So I understand that if you have used a source to maximum benefit there is a time to defect. It seems cold but it happens. People use other people to gain an advantage especially in the business side of things. Your boss's statement may be very true to them. I know you said you would never set out to make friends with someone with the intention of merely using them as a networking tool but it happens. If you could see it would gain you an advantage...would you?

    You bring up some great points in this blog and I think the mind maps are an excellent addition. I look forward to mind-maps re-visited!!

    Leon

    ReplyDelete