I spent some time last night and this morning reading Reader 2, and its supporting literature and I started thinking:
How would be best for me personally to keep my journal?
How could I ensure I always had it with me, so I was able to make entries?
How could I ensure I could read what I had written months later?
How could I keep it secure?
I thought about using pen and paper, but my life does not support carrying additional items around at all times - I have so much to carry anyway! And I don't think I can guarantee not to leave it somewhere, where the issue of confidentiality creeps in again. Also, I get home from work so late that I have very little 'free time' at home, most of my free time is spent at work.
The sensible thing seemed to me to use my computer to keep my journal as this would mean I could never lose an entry or indeed I would not lose my computer, I would be able to read everything I had written (even years later, should I wish), and my computer locks if I don't touch it for 5 minutes meaning no-one will 'pick up' and start reading my journal.
I thought about how I would use my computer and decided to have a look at what Apps were available. I'm an apple girl and really believe in their products; downloading something from the App Store would truly ensure I was able to add an entry to my journal at any time! Even if I am without my MacBook - which is rare as I use it both in the classroom to play music/for my lesson plans and at home for everything - I am never without my iPhone (the app is not available on the iPad).
There were lots of apps available. Many of them were paid or seemed to do too much for what I felt I needed at the moment - although on reflection maybe an all singing all dancing photo, video and audio application would have been good? I can always change and copy the information over. I didn't want to spend too much money initially until I'd decided my idea was actually a good one, and it was going to work and so I decided on an App called My Diary 2 which seemed to have fairly basic functions and only cost 69pence on the mac and £1.49 on the iPhone.
I'd be really interested to know how everyone else is keeping their journals, how they came to their decisions and if anyone has found a really good app.
Hi Megan,
ReplyDeleteThis looks really interesting, good job for finding the app that would work for you ... definitely worth spreading the link, but make sure you are regularly commenting to others, as that will bring them to your Blog and get you more comments.
Hi Alan
ReplyDeleteThanks for the feedback. This is pretty much what you said last week. I even wrote about it on my blog. I understand that one of the 'benefits' of Web 2.0 is that it is interactive. However I don't believe in speaking (on a public forum) for the sake of speaking, but will of course continue to post on anyone's blog I feel I can and hope that they in turn will comment on mine when they feel they have something productive to say or an opinion on.
I am going to write a post about Web 2.0 and it's limitations in China, which you may (or may not!) find interesting.
Hi Megan,
ReplyDeleteIt was really interesting to see that you had found an app for your 'journal'. I had considered keeping just a word document but the app just seems ideal. Like you said in your blog, it is rare you would be without your laptop or phone and that is arguably the way modern society is going. Personally, however, I find it easier putting pen to paper and just "scribbling" down my thoughts but it is good to hear how others are doing it.
Also, you went onto say your next blog would be about the limitations in China and I think this would be a very good topic to further explore.
Hey Megan,
ReplyDeleteI thought about getting the app but I decided to go with old fashion writing just in case I lost my iPad p. I know I can lose my writing too I suppose but I just thought I can carry my paper round anywhere to jot things down but I won't always take my iPad around because of its value. Some times I get bored at the gym n a few times have popped down to my locker and got my notepad and brought it back up and started writing notes whilst on the bike!
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteSorry guys! Something posted from somewhere else whilst I was writing at the same time... Luckily I always check my post!
DeleteHi Amy and Ruth,
ReplyDeleteDifferent things work for different people. Sometimes I make notes on paper, but often even my notes are on my Macbook. My Macbook is with me 90% of the time. I take it to every lesson with me as it holds my music and my lesson plans - it fits in my handbag (it's a 13" MacBook Air) so I usually just end up carrying it around all the time (I took it in the car to the material wholesalers this morning and worked all the way there and back). My iPhone too. I also video the choreography at the end of each lesson on my iPad - so I'm usually carrying the full complement!
I use the 'Sticky's' app on my Mac all the time - my desktop is covered with them! Lesson plans, to do lists, ideas for blogs. You name it, it's on a Sticky! I can tuck them all away so just the headers can be seen/hide them/have them always on view over whatever I'm going or pull the one I want to the front - Great invention! One of the kids showed me them at class a month ago when I said I needed to remember something for the following week, and it's revolutionised my life! I also use the notes and audio notes app on my phone a lot - I think the audio app is more efficient and doesn't look like I'm neglecting the children by writing or typing during/in between their lesson.
The app also makes me accountable to someone (thing) and is date stamped meaning I have to make the time that day to make an entry.
I've already blogged about the limitations of Web 2.0 in China - I did it almost straight away - take a look and let me know what you think. Are you in the UK? Do you have any experience of studying from abroad? If so, how have you found it? The timezone makes it difficult here too, as many of you are updating/available at different times to me.
Hi Megan,
ReplyDeleteI did look at the blog and found it very interesting at it made me think about how life would be if we couldn't access the sites we do such as Facebook and twitter etc. and it just exaggerates how much they aid many thing in this society we live in. I have never had to study from abroad but from holiday experience I can imagine time difference can be quite frustrating at times!
Thank you as well for the e-mail gadget advice. I think I have now got that on my blog so if you want to go check and let me know that would be great, thanks.
Hi Megan
ReplyDeleteGreat idea to search for an app to record your journel, never thought of doing this as I'm just keeping mine in the notes app that's already installed.
This is even more beneficial to our learning and course as your exploring different uses of Web 2.0. I shall definitely be looking into this!
Thanks for the help
Eve