My understanding of this task is that we have to take our current CV and rewrite it as our blog profile. We then need to view others and discuss what we have learned and adapt ours accordingly.
I noticed whilst looking through other blogs that some people had posted their current Resume on their blog, and asked for advice like Beth's Task 1a Blog post. Whilst others had added the information to their profile: Some to their Google+ (like me), and others had opted for the 'limited profile' of the blogging platform (see Laura-May's Blog profile).
I do not feel that either Google+ or the limited blogger profile allowed me enough space to say everything I felt necessary. And so today I have been trying to find a way to upload my Resume without taking up miles of blog space and I discovered this YouTube video:
How to insert documents on Blogger
As a result of my findings, please find my Resume(s) and cover note below which I will also link to my google+ page:
Megan Lewis Resume (brief)
Megan Lewis Resume (detailed)
Personal Statement (April 2013)
I have uploaded two resumes. A brief one that I sent out last academic year whilst applying for jobs, and an extended one that was also completed last academic year but as part of the Recognition of Learning module with Middlesex University. I read on Beth's blog (link above) a post about whether or not a covering letter should be sent. I believe the covering letter is invaluable as it allows you to talk more about yourself and your qualities/aspirations that your CV - which is just a collection of facts.
In line with the task, I have added a very brief version of my Resume to my profile - please click on "Megan Lewis" under the "About me" section of my blog (on your right hand side) to see this version.
If anyone has any feed back, that would be great.
Take care
Megan
Really good Megan,
ReplyDeleteYou identified a short-coming of the technology and have found workable solutions. This is precisely what we want to support and encourage. Keep commenting to others as this will attract more comments to your posts and keep working on those critical thinking skills, questioning what you come across and your responses to the things you see and experience.
Your post has really helped me how to upload my C.V.'s. thank you. I was struggling with this aspect as I kept losing the original format when I uploaded it to google docs. Its inspired me to have a another go at it. I will post how I get on. Its helpful you can use the internet to find a tutorial on how to do tasks. Do you use this process often? I often use the internet to find ideas for singing games/activities for the children I teach, do you use any web 2.0. tools for teaching inspiration?
ReplyDeleteI noticed your teaching abroad do you find teaching techniques and methods different where you are? or very similar to the U.K?
Hi Megan,
ReplyDeleteThanks for the info on how to insert the documents on blogger! I'm going to give it a go myself today.
I like that you have uploaded both a brief resume and a detailed one.I had difficulty finding the balance between writing the facts and portraying my personality but the personal statement gets around that problem! :)
I notice you have a lot of choreography experience. I did my final dissertation for my diploma on choreography but found trying to find music hard. How do you go about finding it?
Hi Emma
ReplyDeleteSorry for the delay in responding - trying to find ways of keeping up with all of this has been quite an adventure!
I've never really thought about how I find my music:
I listen to the radio quite a bit, and have friends with quite broad tastes. I also use Shazam a LOT - if I'm out and hear something I think would be good (or if there's something on an advert etc). I'm fortunately to have lots of friends who are dance teachers so we bounce ideas off each other. Facebook or Twitter help me sometimes too! I might post a message saying I'm looking for something like, say, Bruno Mars "When I was your man" but less commercial. I also look on YouTube and convert files to MP3 from there if there is something I like. And finally, the 'similar items' suggestions from iTunes and Amazon can be useful. It's never a simple task, I have to say...
Hi Natalie
ReplyDeleteI'm really sorry for the delay in getting back to you too!
I use the internet for everything! I use YouTube a lot if I don't know how to do something - they have videos for everything!
I don't use Web 2.0 for teaching inspiration as I've always had a great support network behind me and I've never felt I needed to - Maybe this is something I'll look into. I do, however, use YouTube as a tool within my classes. Today I got a video up so I was able to talk a child through the execution of a jump in slow motion. I also set up a group for dance teachers in my local area on Facebook, which now has over 100 members. This can be used however the members wish, so they could be looking for work, talking about courses or asking for ideas. What technologies do you use?
I am working abroad! I don't find teaching methods different as both the other teacher and myself are Westerners, but I do find the work ethic of the children and the attitude of the parents completely different. On that front, it''s wonderful here. My UK kids worked so hard, but this is a completely different league! It is also almost unheard of here for a parent to complain. We can, and do push these kids so much harder than would ever be acceptable in the UK. Also, safeguarding hasn't made it's way here yet - the elementary level children at the school next door are allowed out to wander the streets at lunchtime, there are no consent forms for using photographs even within major schools, and to my knowledge there is no compulsory CRB equivalent for private companies, at least.
Take care
Megan