Teacher
1
Young
children to not have the vocabulary to understand so well therefore
demonstration probably better but still needs to be supported with
verbal, particular imagery which is age related, to bring out the
musicality and artistry within. As people grow they develop
their own preferred learning styles which can be tested for (various
theories) but which would become evidence to a teacher as they get to
know the student - audio, visual or kinaesthetic. A good
teacher should try and use all three to cater for everyone in their
class.
A good demonstration supported by good verbal instruction
that helps to connect the whole would be favoured.
Teacher
2
I
think demonstration should be favoured over verbal instruction due to
experience children tend to learn a lot more through watching how its
done rather than listening and their attention span is a lot less
when they are just getting verbal instruction. A mixture of the both
is the best option, in the run up to exams I tend to take a step back
from the demonstration and concentrate more verbal instructions to
get them used to performing on their own. I do think there is a link
between age, the old school way of teaching used to be mainly through
verbal instruction especially with more mature teacher not being
physically able to demonstrate some of the movements.
Teacher 3
Definitely equal value... I always teach everything by speaking AND demonstration... Possibly a bit more demonstration for younger ages as they seem to pick things up quicker by seeing. Older students I feel still need to see what you want from them bit obviously it's easier to talk though how u want things to look
Teacher 4
yes. To ensure foundations are strong- larger percentage of younger children need see the product in order to understand and replica it. They learn in a visual way. Also, younger children can not/ struggle to understand performance, movement quality and style through verbal explanation. Concentration span does not allow! You also need to gain respect and trust from middle school students. Ability through demonstration is one way to assist here.…. Older students…. personally…I can’t do 60% of the advanced syllabi requirements. My seniors respect and trust me in my ability…which is no longer execution at 100%. My technique is solid….but 45 degrees lower than examination requirements. I can do a fantastic releve pirouette…minus the turn. Personally to develop senior grades, analysis of movement is a far stronger tool. When coaching style and musicality, Marking the steps but performing the emotion/ musicality is good enough.
I am thinking about this with regards to examination syllabi though….. when choreographing I find I have to ‘dance’, (at a lower level of execution,) to create and teach the work. After the piece is set though, the same rules apply.
I am pretty new to teaching dance, so with your own initial thoughts or ideas, how would you answer that question? If I were to answer it I would agree that it depends on the age group. From doing my FDI a long time ago, I remember the simple thing of being expressive with the younger ones, bringing out their imaginative side. Saying this though, I continue to contradict myself, as even with the older ones it's all about expression too as well as technique. They have to use their imagination too. So saying all this, I think at whatever age, verbal and visual are both just as important. (This is coming from a not very experienced dance teacher)
I would greatly value your opinion, even though it is your question too.
My response to Kimberley
Kimberley, I think both have huge value. Being able to give a clear, accurate demonstration is invaluable. It is particularly beneficial for young children who do not have the technical, rhythmical or emotional knowledge to produce what you are verbally asking for. I think it also gains you the respect of your older students. That said, I rarely stop talking during classes of any age! And I definitely do not dance with my seniors ANYWHERE near as much as I dance with my juniors - and there are some things that I can just no longer demonstrate. In this instance I use another student - which I find often works well at any level. For whatever reason the students think it's more achievable if one of their peers shows a level of competency in execution.
I have many mottos: one of them is "learn it once, learn it right" (I think I'm also going to get a T-shirt printed saying "Eyes up! The floor can't help you!"). If it has been learned correctly as a junior, there is rarely a need for me to demonstrate to a senior. When demonstrating at this level I am usually talking about quality and dynamics over technical execution (providing they can recall their vocabulary) but I first try to do this verbally. I talk a lot about them being responsible for their own dancing - It's their body, it's their experience.
However I do ensure I do something that relates to interpreting instructions each lesson for the juniors, whether that be 'musical statues in the style of...' or free dancing with a theme or a step to include in the hope of encouraging self thinking, imagination and creativity.
I have many mottos: one of them is "learn it once, learn it right" (I think I'm also going to get a T-shirt printed saying "Eyes up! The floor can't help you!"). If it has been learned correctly as a junior, there is rarely a need for me to demonstrate to a senior. When demonstrating at this level I am usually talking about quality and dynamics over technical execution (providing they can recall their vocabulary) but I first try to do this verbally. I talk a lot about them being responsible for their own dancing - It's their body, it's their experience.
However I do ensure I do something that relates to interpreting instructions each lesson for the juniors, whether that be 'musical statues in the style of...' or free dancing with a theme or a step to include in the hope of encouraging self thinking, imagination and creativity.
No comments:
Post a Comment